If you’re a first-timer at the NACE14 conference, here are some don’t-miss suggestions from several of the NACE Conference Committee members:
Meg J. Flood, campus recruiter for EY: For first timers, I highly recommend the first-timer’s session as it provides amazing networking opportunities so you can build connections early in the conference. Also:
- Diversity and Inclusion Breakfast
- Awards Presentation. It’s always inspiring to hear what others are doing and great to support colleagues!
Toni McLawhorn, director of career services at Roanoke College: Three things I would not miss at the conference or that I would recommend for others to be sure to do:
- Attend the opening conference reception, it’s one of the few times you’ll get to network with everyone at one time, in one place, and get the conference started off right!
- Attend as many of the break-out sessions as you can—one of the reasons for attending conferences is for professional development, and with the fast-paced changes in our industry, we need to keep up with what’s happening!
- Exhibitors—Learn about the new technologies and resources available to help us in our jobs
Rosette Pyne, senior associate director of career services at the University of Pennsylvania: Don’t miss the conference opening and the keynote speakers! Also:
- The session given by Tom Devlin and Kathy Sims on Impacting Our Future: Game Changers for Career Services. Their presentations at the conferences are always interesting and dynamic with great audience participation.
- One of the following breakfasts depending on whether you are an employer or college representative: College Communities Breakfast / Employer Forums Breakfast.
Maria K. Stein, associate vice president for cooperative education and career development at Northeastern University:
- The Exhibit Hall—It’s a great opportunity to network, meet new people, connect with colleagues, and learn about products and services that help us do our work better/more efficiently.
- The Denim & Diamonds Celebration—Who doesn’t like a great party, or for that matter denim and diamonds? It’s also a great excuse to dust off those cowboy boots or better still buy a new pair of cowboy boots!
- Meet the Award Winners & Great Ideas Showcase—This is a great opportunity to learn about all the wonderful innovations in our field.